The Board of Trustees operates a Ministry of Education approved Enrolment Scheme to prevent overcrowding, as the school receives more applications for enrolment than places available. The Scheme provides for the automatic right of entry to those students who reside within the Whenuapai School zone. You can find out what school you are zoned for by going to TKI website.
School Zone and Enrolment Scheme
Home Zone (Zone A) – Effective from Term 1, 2021
Zone Extension (Zone B) – Effective from Term 3, 2023
The guidelines for development and operation of enrolment schemes are issued under Schedule 20 of the Education and Training Act 2020 for the purpose of describing the basis on which the Secretary’s powers in relation to enrolment schemes will be exercised.
All students who live within the home zone described below and/or shown on the attached map shall be entitled to enrol at Whenuapai School.
Starting at the intersection of SH16 Twin Coast Discovery and Coatesville Riverhead Highway, travel south on SH16.
- Starting at the intersection of SH16 Twin Coast Discovery and Coatesville Riverhead Highway, travel south on SH16.
- At the roundabout of SH16, Brigham Creek Road and Fred Taylor Drive, travel south down Fred Taylor Drive.
- Hailes Road is included. Matakohe Road and Dunlop Road are not included. South of the intersection with Northside Drive, all even numbered addresses 54 to 138 Fred Taylor Drive are excluded, as are any new roads coming off the west side of Fred Taylor Drive.
- Continue along Fred Taylor Drive through the roundabout with Te Oranui Way and Don Buck Road. Turn north onto Tawhia Drive, then left onto Barbour Road. The east side of Barbour Road (unaddressed at time of writing) is not included. Continue along Barbour Road until Maki Street.
- At the intersection of Barbour Road, Maki Street and Gunton Drive, cut straight across eastwards over the Northwestern Motorway to join SH 18/Upper Harbour Motorway. Maki Street is included north of this intersection. Gunton Drive is not included.
- Continue along the Upper Harbour Motorway until the Brigham Creek Road off-ramp. the zone includes Kauri Road and travels around the Whenuapai Peninsula shoreline to the beginning point of the intersection of SH16 Twin Coast Discovery and Coatesville Riverhead Highway. Includes Herald Island.
- The zone does not include Sinton Road.
- All residential addresses on included sides of boundary roads and all no exit roads off included sides of boundary roads are included in the zone unless otherwise stated.
Extension – Zone B
- Starting at the intersection of Fred Taylor Drive (even addresses 60-140 only included) and Don Buck Road, travel south along Don Buck Road (even addresses 382-562 only included) until Red Hills Road.
- Travel west along Red Hills Road (odd addresses only included) to Henwood Road.
- Travel northeast along Henwood Road (even addresses only included) and follow the stream north along the back of the properties along Fred Taylor Drive until 140 Fred Taylor Drive.
- From 140 Fred Taylor Drive, travel south back to the starting point.
All residential addresses on included sides of boundary roads and all no exit roads off included sides of the boundary roads are included in the zone unless otherwise stated.
PLEASE NOTE: Proof of residence within the home zone will be required.
Enrolment Process and Documentation
Enrolments for all children are arranged through the school office. For the enrolment of New Entrants, a birth certificate as verification of age and an immunisation certificate must be presented. Parents will be notified before the date of enrolment of two pre-school visits that will be available for them and their children to familiarise themselves with the class they will be joining and the simple routines.
Students from overseas who have moved to New Zealand must provide their passport and documentation showing evidence of New Zealand residency. An immunisation certificate for the student must also be provided.
Out of Zone Enrolments
Each year, applications for enrolment in the following year from in-zone students will be sought by a date which will be published in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. This will enable the board to assess the number of places which can be made available to students who live outside the home zone.
This priority category is not applicable at this school because the school does not run a Special programme approved by the Secretary.
Out of Zone Enrolments
Each year the board will determine the number of places which are likely to be available in the following year for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone. The board will publish this information by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will indicate how applications are to be made and will specify a date by which all applications must be received.
Applications for enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority:
First Priority This priority category is not applicable at this school because the school does not run a Special programme approved by the Secretary.
Second Priority will be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.
Third Priority will be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
Fourth Priority will be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.
Fifth Priority will be given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the board of the school or a child of a member of the board of the school.
Sixth Priority will be given to all other applicants.
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth, fifth, or sixth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group must be by ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued by the Secretary under Section 11G(1) of the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school.
Applicants seeking second or third priority status may be required to give proof of a sibling relationship.
Out of Zone Enrolments for 2023/2024
Currently, Whenuapai School only has positions available for siblings of current students (Second Priority, out of zone applicants). No other out of zone positions are available in 2023/2024 and therefore no ballot will be held.