At Whenuapai School, we strongly encourage tamariki in Year 4 to 8 to bring their own devices (BYOD) to school to support their learning. A higher ratio of devices to students means that teachers are able to use digital tools effectively throughout the learning day. Whenuapai School strives to have devices available for tamariki who are not able to bring their own.
There are so many great tools we can use to support children’s learning and creativity. As a school, we are always looking for new technologies and innovations that will extend the abilities and skills of our tamariki both with and without devices.
Devices at school are currently being used for:
- Teaching the Digital Curriculum – Digital citizenship and safety, digital fluency, computational thinking, and designing and developing digital outcomes.
- Using Google Workspace and Classroom to support students to access the learning programme (the google licenses are provided by the Ministry of Education).
- To enable collaboration between students within the class, across the school and beyond the school gate.
- Communicating with a wider audience.
- Accessing online learning resources. For example:
- Writer’s Toolbox
- Coding Programme
- Khan Academy
- Reading and math activities
- Basic design programmes – 3D printing etc
Protect and Security
- The school internet connection is provided by the Ministry of Education provider Network for Learning. This connection is filtered to the Ministry of Education requirements.
- To provide extra security and safety Whenuapai School:
- Manages all devices on our premises between 8.30am to 3.10pm. This means that students will only be able to sign onto their device using their school login credentials. The school managing their device is a condition for students being allowed to bring their devices to school.
- Has partnered with Linewize to provide an extra layer of internet filtering and greater teacher and student oversight into internet usage.
Link to Online Safety Hub – https://whenuapai.onlinesafetyhub.nz/
We are a Google Environment and our preferred student device is a Chromebook because they:
- Have a low purchase price
- Provide access to all of the necessary learning resources that we require
- Are simple to operate
- Are lightweight to carry to and from school
- Have a long battery life
- Are supported by our network and independent IT provider.
Digital Curriculum Goals