Whenuapai School has five areas that encompass its sport programme. Each area offers a student the opportunity to participate, compete and celebrate their sporting experiences, talents and skills leading to personal development, achievement and success in their chosen sport. These five areas are:
- Norwest and Interzone Sports Events
- Long Term Major Sports
- Special Sporting Events
- Community Partnerships
- Whenuapai School Sporting Events
One area of our sport programme is our long term major sports where the emphasis is on students representing the school as part of a team competing in a local competition across a period of weeks, a term or a major part of the year. The long term major sports offered in 2022 are:
- Summer Football
School Sport Motto – “Accomplish what you foresee as Unattainable – back yourself and back each other”.
School Sport Values – Respect Ourselves, Respect Others and Respect our Coaching and Learning Environment.
School Sport Vision – To have perceptive, competent and self-regulated students on a successful sporting pathway.
- To promote fun, enjoyment and challenge within sport, recreation and leisure for Whenuapai students
- Putting the student at the centre of the decision making process
- Providing sporting pathways from contributing schools to secondary schools and community clubs
- Approaching sport from the view that ‘better people make better athletes’
- Viewing students as positive contributors to Whenuapai and the wider community
- Empowering students with leadership qualities
Purpose of Whenuapai Sport – Lead and support the development of sport and recreation at Whenuapai School.
Statement of Intent – Reflects the priorities of Whenuapai School. Whenuapai School Sport will prioritise:
- student self-development and lifelong involvement in sport and recreation
- enhancing the profile of sport and physical recreation at the school, within the school and the community
- increasing participation in sport and physical recreation
- increasing the quality of student participation in sport and physical recreation
- assisting students in gaining enjoyment from sport and physical recreation
- delivering sport and physical recreation safely to students
- catering for the different needs of all students
Mission – Whenuapai School is committed to providing excellence, participation and a positive competitive environment where students are encouraged to expand their knowledge in, through and about all aspects of sport and recreation.